Cost of Renting in Mahahual

Map of New Mahahual and water park.

Map of New Mahahual and water park.

I have getting a lot of good and interesting questions lately on this blog. Instead of just replying I thought I would share some of the better questions and answer them here on the blog, because I figure some other readers might be having the same thoughts.

” I am thinking of retiring somewhere in Costa Maya. Are there small, inexpensive apartments on the outskirts of Majahual? I will probably have to find part-time work to supplement my social security. Any advice or suggestions for an aging hippie?”

Good question, in Mahahual there are plenty of housing options for folks on a budget. Most of the expats and people who work in Mahahaul live in New Mahahual, near the port. Living on the beach in Mahahual is kind of expensive for the average retiree. There are very nice condos on the malecon that start around $100,000 USD and go up from there. A lot of these are used for investment and the owners rent them out a lot when they are not in town.

So I am going to concentrate on housing in New Mahahual and the surrounding area. In New Mahahual there are houses and apartments. You can rent a small unfurnished house 1BR house for around 2,000 pesos a month. These houses are all in safe neighborhoods and have small front and back yards. They are usually 1 bath with a kitchen, and some storage. 2BR houses start at around 3,000 pesos a month and can go higher, it depends on features and fixtures.

camera xmas to may 2014 338

Example of average 2BR house for rent in New Mahahual.

Example of average 2BR house for rent in New Mahahual.

There are also several apartments for rent, and it depends on where you live and the services you get that determines the cost. I know several that for 4,000 pesos a month you get furnished apartment with air conditioning, internet, and cable TV. But there are others that run around 3,000 pesos a month that are nice too. Sometimes the prices vary on these between high and low season, but if you agree to a year lease you can usually get a good deal. Apartments, like houses, usually start around 2,000 pesos a month and go up from there.

Also in Mahahual a lot of the time you can rent a room or a part of a house from a local or another expat to share expenses. A lot of the people who work at the port do this. And sometimes expats house sit for some of the other expats who are away in their home country.

So as you can see you can live pretty well in Mahahual with rent there starting at around 2,000 pesos a month and going up from there.
Living expenses are also very cheap in Mahahual.

As far as working part-time, it would have to depend on what your experience is and what you want to do. There are not enough English speaking individuals in Mahahual now to handle the tourists , so you might could do some thing there. If you have food experience I am sure you could find something or even start a business of your own. I know private nurses will be needed in the future, to help with some expat retirees. Teachers I am sure could tutor children, and there are numerous other things someone could do in Mahahual in the future to supplement their income, it all depends on their skills and talents.

As far as being an “aging hippie”, I am sure you can earn some money selling beads, jewelry, and other trinkets on the beach, or face painting, or any other of the activities that the European hippies in town do now. In fact you will feel right at home, there are a bunch “aging hippies” in Mahahual. I have even thought of opening an “aging hippie” commune in Mahahaul, I think it would go over well, hippies love Mahahual, and a lot sleep on the beach here when they are in town.

Thanks for reading and keep the questions coming, Steve Heide, I will get to your question tomorrow.
Stewart Rogers USA-South Carolina

19 thoughts on “Cost of Renting in Mahahual

1. Steve Heide says:

Where are those 100k condos in Mahahual? Lisa and I didn’t see them on our last visit. Are you involved in selling them?

2. Do you have to have permits to sell things in Mahahual? For example if I wanted to sell my handmade jewelry could I just set up a stand each day and sell it? When we were there earlier this month I spoke with a “vagabond” as he put it, who was doing just that. In retrospect I was wondering if he had to have a permit, or permission to put his little table up each day on the malecon.

• From my knowledge, if you set up a stand, yes you have to have a permit. There are vendors that work the beach during holidays and cruise ship days that sell jewelry and trinkets. If you get permission from a restaurant or other establishment to set up on their property, that is another story. You can get a kiosk inside the port, and I am not sure of the price inside the port. Also a Mexican local may not have to get a permit, as maybe when an expat would. There are hippies that are always setting little stands up along the malecon, and they do not have permits. But even if you had to get a permit, I am sure it would not be too expensive. I will see if I can find out more, but the more I think about it there are a lot of “vagabonds” in Mahahual and they don’t have permits.

3. Count me in for your “aging hippie” commune — I’ll be eligible for retirement in 7 years, and I’m thinking that might be the time to move from Guanajuato to another place, and Mahahual sounds great!

4. Would it be better to find a temporary rental place and then look around for longer term accomodation? If so where would be the place to look for information on short or long term rentals – would you suggest Craig’s List or are them other options?

5. Reblogged this on Costa Maya Mahahual and commented:

It is that time of year, and I am getting searches and questions about renting in Mahahual during the winter, which is considered high season here. A lot of people like to rent here during the winter to see if they like it before they settle down and buy property or a house.

There are a lot of good rentals here, and I know of several good ones that are availiable now. If you need some information let me know. This article I wrote last year goes into the cost of renting here, and some of the options.

6. Ben says:

Hi, I’m interested in renting a small place for a couple months this December/January. When I went to email you my computer warned me this was a possibly a fraudulent site. Hopefully this isn’t the case and you can help. Look forward to your response.

7. Dale Thomas says:

Mr. Rogers, I have read many of your blogs. I am wanting to relocate to Mahahual. I am from Florida, But I am living in Chunox, Corozal, Belize now. I have been here for 90 days. I came to retire and fish. Fishing is not good here. I am only on Social Security and so am on a budget. I am almost 70, but still in pretty good shape. I usually walk between 2 and 5 miles per day. I was wanting to take a bus trip to Mahahual to look over the area, but from what I’ve read, that is where I want to be. I can come and visit anytime in September, with the intention of relocating by the end of September. I do not mind somewhat humble housing. The prices in your blog are within my price range. I am not opposed to living close to the locals. I only speak a little Spanish, but I am learning. I am not looking to work, but if I can help out, okay. I do not have a vehicle in Belize. What would be the best time of the week to visit? Is staying in a hostel okay for a few days? Thanks, Dale

• Hey Dale. Steve doesn’t write the blog anymore because unfortunately he passed last year. September is a VERY quiet time in Mahahual so it should be a good time for you to visit the town. Staying in a hostel is a fine option and there are a lot of places available on airbnb as well. Good luck and enjoy your time!

• Dale Thomas says:

Hello, I didn’t get your name. I am sorry to hear about Steve. He seemed to be the guru of Mahahual information. Have you taken over the blog, and are you now the new guru of information. I have a couple more questions to ask and comments to make if it is appropriate to ask you. Let me know please. Yes- ask or no- don’t ask. Thank you for your reply. Dale

• Hey Dale. My name is Brandon and I wouldn’t say that I am the guru of informatione exactly haha. Just a guy writing about our little town. Ask me anything you need and I’ll answer as best I can!

• Dale Thomas says:

Hi Brandon, Thank you for being a help for me. I am not a world traveler so new things are a bit of a mystery to me. I shared with my landlord/friend about moving to Mahahual. He said that he would drive me there. I do not have o lot of stuff, but more than I can put on a bus. I moved to Belize with two checked boxes and a carry on bag on the airplane. Obviously I left a lot of stuff at home,and I gave most of it away. I have picked up a few things here, but not a lot. What I would like to know is this. Instead of doing an exploratory trip to Mahahual, and then coming back and moving, can I wait until the end of September, load my stuff into his car and just come to Mahahual. Will I be able to find a place to rent that is within my budget and move right in? Even better would be a place that was waiting for me. Maybe you might know of some. I like quiet. I am not a people, people person. In Belize I live in a large one room place. I am okay with that, or a one or two bedroom house.I do not need to be in a housing area with a lot of neighbors. I do not drink. I do not party. I do not need a/c. I need water, electric, and internet. I eat, sleep, cook, and hopefully fish. I live close to the local population here, and many have become my friends. Of course here, they can speak English. I do not know the layout of the town but a little remote from the crowd would not bother me. Can you help me find a place to come to, or do I need to make a visit first. Thank you for your help. Dale

• Dale Thomas says:

Hi Brandon, The possibilities of my situation have changed slightly. My landlord/friend Craig was going to help me move at the end of the month. Another person came by my house today and wants to rent. My friend has been really great to me here in Belize, so I am available to come right away if I would have a place to come to. Have you had any results in the search for a rental? You can email me direct if you would like. Waiting to hear from you. Thanks, Dale

• Hey Dale. I don’t know if any places off the top of my head but the best piece of advice I can give you is to go onto facebook and look for two groups: Amigo Unidos Por Mahahaul, and Todos Somos Mahahual. They are like our locals news/classified ads groups and you can ask there if there is anything for rent. People post available spaces there and ask about the same. It is really the key resource for communication for anything in Mahahual